Tuesday, January 18, 2011

Let Them Eat Cake!



The other night I had a wild hair to bake a cake. It couldn't be the ordinary box cake or anything like that. I decided to make the Raspberry Whipped Cream Truffle Cake from the Bon Appetite Deserts book.

This Christmas I happened to be the lucky recipient of an Electric hand mixer, a large wonderful pan, and cake decorating set. These all came in handy while baking this cake. Something magical happened to me while I was at HyVee getting my ingredients, spring form pans and cake pans were on sale! so naturally I bought a few, I needed on more 9'' pan to constitute one purchase, and the base of the spring form came into handy as well.

Any way on with the cake...
I most definitely think my Truffle making skills came in handy on this one (for the handling of the chocolate cooking of course). But my skills of attention were a challenge when it came to icing. The only disaster I had could have been major, but fortunately gravity was most awesome to me and when the cake fell from the counter to the floor it did not flip over, just flopped and made the middle filling fly out all over my feet. It was funny, but was sad because now my plate is broken... guess I could use a desert platter and dome?

Either way my cake still turned out well as so did I, we all lived and the roommates/ lab mice are all very pleased with the delicious cake I made for us.
Also for those not aware, I am sort of a fan of Alice and Wonderland and had that in mind while icing the cake, I wanted it to look like one of the cookies she ate when she was landed down the rabbit hole.

1 comment: